Try this peppermint pinwheel cookie recipe for a great Christmas treat, with extra candy canes to give it a bit more of a crunch and a nice Christmas touch. What’s more is that this recipe uses no artificial colour and no artificial flavouring.
We use all natural food colouring in the form of beetroot powder and real peppermint leaves. Just a few extra candy canes thrown in to roll your cookies and give them a bit more crunch.
If you need to find beetroot powder or peppermint powder, we recommend the following:
- Beetroot powder: 100g Beetroot Powder By Falcon Superstore
- Peppermint powder: JustIngredients Essential Peppermint Powder
- Vanilla powder: VanillaMart Pure Madagascan Vanilla Powder
Peppermint Pinwheel Cookie Recipe
Peppermint Cookie Mix:
Vanilla Cookie Mix:
- 110g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 2g baking powder
- 2g vanilla powder
You’ll also need:
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 120g softened, unsalted butter
Peppermint Pinwheel Cookie Method:
- In 2 separate mixing bowls, mix together the ingredients for your vanilla cookie mix and for your peppermint cookie mix.
- In another bowl, beat together 1 whole egg with 1 tbsp milk, and half of this to each cookie mixture.
- Add 60g softened butter to each cookie mix and use your hands, work each one into a dough.
- Roll out each one on a sheet of baking paper, until about A4 size and roughly 0.4cm to 0.5cm thickness.
- Cool each rolled out cookie dough in the fridge for 15-20 minutes until firm.
- Carefully place one dough on top of the other and trim around the edges so your doughs are the same size and shape.
- Using baking paper and a towel, carefully roll your dough into a tight log shape. You need to be firm but not roll too tightly or your doughs will merge.
- Allow your cookie roll to cool in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C (170C fan-assisted)
- Remove your roll from the fridge and cut into even slices of roughly 1cm thickness each and spread out evenly over a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Crush your candy canes and roll the edges of your cookies in the crushed candy cane for an extra Christmas kick.