In this quick and easy tutorial, brought to you by Charm de Bon Bon, we’re going to show you how to pipe roses on cake.
You can use and adapt this technique for piping on any variety of cakes and cupcakes. It is very easy to follow and adds a stunning, eloquent touch to your baking.
What You Need:
To pipe roses, you will need
- A Wilton 1M or similar star-shaped piping tip – which you can get as part of this fantastic 59 piece piping kit: Wilton 59-Piece Master Decorating Tip Set
- Piping Bag
- Buttercream frosting
- Cake or cupcakes to frost (obviously!)
Method For How To Pipe Roses On Cake:
- First of all you need to make sure your baked goods are cooled before you start icing them. That way if you do by chance make a mistake, you can scrape off the icing easily and start over.
- Attach your piping tip to the end of your piping bag and fill the piping bag with your buttercream frosting.
- Squeeze a couple of times to make sure your piping bag is working properly.
- Touch the piping tip to the cake or cupcake, at the point where you want the centre of the rose to be.
- Gently squeeze the piping bag, and as the frosting comes out, begin a gentle outward circular motion (in other words, move the bag in a circle but each round should be slightly bigger).
- For small size roses, you should only need to do 2 or 3 rounds.
- If you want to add a little bit more volume to your roses, you can do a second, smaller layer of icing on top of the first. This keeps the look of the rose but also gives it much more volume and substance.
- Enjoy your beautiful rose-decorated cakes with your nearest and dearest.
If you would like to purchase a set of piping tips, we strongly recommend a quality brand such as Wilton. You can get their 59 piece icing kit from Amazon, below.