Try this delicious chocolate Viennese whirl recipe – filled with mint chocolate ganache – for a delicious, chocolatey twist on a baking classic.
I absolutely love Viennese whirls. Rich, light, buttery, crunchy – pretty much everything you could ask for in a biscuit. But I wanted to try playing around with them a little bit so I adapted what I knew and came up with this sort of unique, interesting chocolate Viennese whirl recipe, with a mint chocolate ganache.
And the end result was pretty excellent.
Everything You Need For This Chocolate Viennese Whirl Recipe
Ingredients (Makes around 12-16 sandwiches, so 24-32 actual cookies):
For the biscuits
- 230g plain flour
- 50g cornflour
- 50g icing sugar
- 20g unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vanilla: 1/4 tsp vanilla powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or seeds from half a vanilla pod
- 250g softened or melted butter
For the filling
- 250g dark chocolate
- 225ml double cream
- 5ml Steenbergs Organic Peppermint Extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C (or 170C if fan assisted)
- In a mixing bowl, sift together 230g plain flour, 50g cornflour, 50g icing sugar, 20g cocoa powder and vanilla. Leave a gap or ‘well’ in the middle.
- Pour your butter into the gap and then beat the mixture together until fully combined.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Spoon your biscuit batter into a piping bag and using an open star shaped nozzle, pipe onto your greaseproof baking sheets into round circles.
- Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for around 15 minutes or until golden brown and remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Over medium heat, bring your double cream to the boil, add peppermint extract and then pour the mixture over your dark chocolate. Whisk until fully combined and allow to cool to thicken slightly.
- Lay out your baked and cooled biscuits, top side down. Spread your chocolate ganache over half of them then simply put together your sandwiches by placing the “empty” half over the half with the ganache on it.
- You can dust with extra icing sugar if you’d like to.
And there you go. Mint chocolate Viennese whirls all done for you! Quick and EASY.