Tiramisu is probably the best known Italian dessert but there isn’t much baking involved. So I have given it my own twist to put together this delicious three tier tiramisu gateau recipe.
The photo has 2 tiers, but these instructions give you everything you need for a 3-tier masterpiece. The layers are quite thin so it’s not too challenging to assemble and keep together.
Tiramisu Gateau Recipe
- For the tiramisu cake mix:
- 180g self raising flour
- 180g caster sugar
- 2g vanilla bean paste [geot region=”UK” ](Try: Taylor and Colledge Vanilla Bean Paste)[/geot]
- 5g coffee
- 2g baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- For the coffee syrup glaze:
- 60g caster sugar
- 10g coffee
- 5g cocoa powder
- 1g vanilla bean paste [geot region=”UK” ](Taylor and Colledge Vanilla Bean Paste)[/geot]
- 125g icing sugar
You’ll also need:
- 180g butter, softened
- 3 whole eggs
- 200ml water
- 300ml double cream
- 250g mascarpone
- A little bit of oil for greasing your baking tins (or greaseproof paper)
- In a mixing bowl combine 180g self raising flour, 180g caster sugar, 2g vanilla bean, 5g coffee, 2g baking powder and a pinch of sea salt with 3 whole eggs, and 180g softened butter and whisk to combine into a cake batter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C or 170C (fan assisted) and grease 3 8″ baking tins (if you don’t have enough, you can bake these one at a time instead)
- Pour a third of your cake batter into each baking tin, and bake for roughly 12-15 minutes. Make sure the cake is done using a toothpick (it should come out clean). Repeat until you have 3 completely baked tiers and allow them to cool.
- In a saucepan, combine MOST your coffee glaze dry ingredients with 200ml water and bring to the boil before allowing to simmer (you need to keep some of the glaze mix to sprinkle over the top of your cake). You want the glaze to thicken slightly but not too much or it will harden on the cake.
- Allow the glaze to cool to room temperature before brushing over each of your 3 cake layers.
- Combine 125g icing sugar, 300ml double cream and 250g caster sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk to form a thick whipped cream frosting.
- On a serving plate, place one layer of cake and cover it in a thin layer of mascarpone frosting. Place a second cake on top, press down gently and then add some more frosting. Finally add the third layer of cake.
- Transfer the remaining frosting to a piping bag, and pipe over the top of your cake to give it that extra touch to finish.
- Gently sprinkle over the rest of your glaze dry ingredients.
- Chill in the fridge for 15-20 minutes before serving.
[geot region=”UK” ]
Join Home Bake Box today and get something new and fun to bake every single month. Hundreds of boxes have already gone out to our happy baking lovers. Don’t miss out! Click here to find out more![/geot]