Try these delicious real strawberry cupcakes from scratch. Incredibly simple to make, bursting with flavour, with an appearance topic both specked red with real strawberry, these are a delicious, Valentine’s treat. Pipe your buttercream in a rose shape for an extra special effect.
For the cupcakes:
- 125g self raising flour
- 120g caster sugar
- 10g strawberry powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 whole eggs
- 125g unsalted soften butter
For the buttercream:
- 200g icing sugar
- 5g strawberry powder
- Pinch of vanilla
- 150g unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- Pink or red sprinkles of your choice!
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C
- In a mixing bowl, combine your cupcake dry ingredients with 2 whole eggs and 125g softened butter. Beat together to combine into a smooth, thick batter.
- Spoon out into 12 to 16 cupcake cases. If you have a small ice cream scoop, you can use that to get even sized portions more easily
- Bake for 20-25 minutes on the middle shelf of the oven. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To make the buttercream, beat your butter in a bowl to soften it, and then 100g icing sugar. Carefully fold in the mixture so that it starts to combine a bit with the softened butter (to stop it from flying everywhere!) and then use a beater or whisk to fully combine.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of milk, and the 100g more icing sugar and beat together.
- Fold in 5g of strawberry powder.
- It should combine into smooth, strawberry specked buttercream. If you want to give it a stronger, sweeter flavour or a brighter red colour, you can gently fold in some strawberry jam to give it a rippled effect.
- Place the buttercream in a piping bag with a star shaped nozzle and pipe on your cooled cupcakes in rose shapes, Start from the centre of the cupcake, and pipe in a tight spiral outwards. This will give you a rose effect without getting too complicated.
- Add your sprinkles and you’re all set.