I have spent ages looking for a good red velvet chocolate chip cookies recipe and I think I have nailed it finally. A bright, Valentine’s Day take on traditional buttery, crunchy shortbread biscuit.
Traditionally the red velvet colour is created by a reaction between cocoa powder, vinegar & buttermilk. Unfortunately as virtually all cocoa powder in shops is processed, the reaction doesn’t happen & we need food colouring to make it happen.
Try this red velvet chocolate chip cookies recipe today. It is delicious.
We have used white chocolate chips in this recipe but you will be fine with any chocolate chips really!
- 180g plain flour
- 80g caster sugar
- 10g cocoa powder
- 3g vanilla
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- Pinch of sea salt
- 70g white chocolate chips
- A few drops of red food colouring
- In a mixing bowl, use your hands to work together your flour, caster sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla with 100g softened butter.
- With your hands, work in 70g of white chocolate chips until they’re evenly spread throughout the dough.
- On a floured surface, lay out your dough ball, and use the palm of your hand to flatten it a little bit. Add a few drops of food colouring spread evenly over your shortbread dough.
- Use your hands to work the dough. It will take a fair amount of kneading and elbow grease to get the colour spread evenly throughout the dough, but it will get there eventually.
- Pre-heat the oven to 165°C.
- On a floured surface, roll out your shortbread dough to about 1/4” to 1/2” thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out your desired shapes and lay them out on a baking tray lined with baking paper
- (Optional) If you don’t want your cookies to spread out too much chill your cut out cookie shapes in the fridge for 20-30 minutes. If you don’t mind them spreading out a bit, you can put them straight in the oven.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. They will be quite soft when they come out of the oven but will crisp up when they cool.
Join Home Bake Box today and get something new and fun to bake every single month. Hundreds of boxes have already gone out to our happy baking lovers. Don’t miss out! Click here to find out more![/geot]