With summer coming to an end and it seems like we are catching the last bit of summer heat at the end of August. This has made us want to share this amazing cool idea of a Baked Alaska, where the filling of the bake is ice cream, this will surely help you cool down in the summer heat.
Below is the video made by DearMartiniKitchen and their variation of making the Baked Alaska. Go ahead and click on it to see how to make this cooling bake.
We at home bake box have also tried putting our recipe together for this Baked Alaska, go ahead and give it a try.
For the cake you’ll need:
- 60g unsalted butter
- 125g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 135g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling you’ll need:
- 300g strawberries
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 8 scoops of ice cream of your choosing
For the meringue you’ll need:
- 300g caster sugar
- 6 egg whites
And here’s what you do…
To bake the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (or 160°C if fan assisted).
- Sift the flour with the pinch of salt.
- Whisk the eggs together and then add the caster sugar along with the vanilla extract.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture, do this in 3 stages.
- Fold in the melted butter (ensure the butter is cool).
- Pour cake mixture into a greased baking tin.
- Bake in the oven for 30 -40 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the baking tin and leave to cool.
For the filling:
- Use a food processor to puree the strawberries.
- Mix in the icing sugar.
- Cut the cake in 2 horizontal layers. Blitz one of the layers in a food processor, the other layer will serve as the base of the cake.
- Mix the cake crumbs with the strawberry puree.
- Boil the sugar in 250ml of water.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form peaks.
- Pour in the hot syrup, beating it constantly until it cools down.
For the ice cream:
- Use a bowl size that is slightly smaller than the base of the cake, cover it with cling film.
- Scoop the ice cream into the bowl and fill the bowl up, ensuring you push the ice cream down.
- Take the ice cream out the bowl, by turning it upside down on the base of the cake and use the cling film to pull it out.
- Cover the top of the ice cream with the strawberry filling.
- Fully cover the ice cream and the base with the meringue.
- Place into freezer for up to 2 hrs.
- When it is ready to bak, preheat oven to 220°C and bake for 3-5 minutes.